14 Top Test Automation Frameworks in 2023
According to recent reports, the demand for automated software testing is continuously increasing. As a result, organizations are constantly seeking reliable and efficient test automation frameworks to save time and money. When many choices are available in the market, choosing the right one according to the testing needs would be the real challenge.
To assist you in making an informed decision, we have compiled a comprehensive guide of the 14 top test automation frameworks in 2023. These frameworks offer various features and are compatible with various programming languages, making them ideal for applications. By using these frameworks, software development teams can improve their testing efficiency, reduce the risk of errors, and enhance overall software quality.
Table Of Contents
- 1 TOP TEST AUTOMATION FRAMEWORKS
- 2 What is a Test Automation Framework?
- 3 Benefits of a Test Automation Framework
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
TOP TEST AUTOMATION FRAMEWORKS
Software development teams have embraced test automation in the past decade to increase their tests’ speed, accuracy, and repeatability. Automation testing frameworks provide the foundation for building automated tests, making it easier to maintain, execute, and report results. Various automation testing frameworks are available, each offering unique features and capabilities.
This blog post discusses the 14 top test automation frameworks, features, and pricing. Finally, we will review best practices for getting the most out of automated testing. Read on to learn more about the 14 top test automation frameworks.
Testsigma utilizes Artificial Intelligence-based test automation to generate robust and dependable test automation scripts. It helps to reduce manual effort. Also, ensuring that tests are reliable, accurate, and comprehensive enough to detect bugs. Besides, it ensures that all tests are wide enough to cover all possible scenarios of an application under test.
1. Testsigma comes in two exciting versions – cloud-based and open-source.
i. The open-source version is free to use forever for the community. And can be installed on any system. This one is not available on the cloud.
ii. The “Cloud-based” version will be available for use on the cloud and is a premium version. All test automation workflows, such as authoring, execution, and reporting, are all performed on the cloud – how cool is that?
2. Ease of Test: Testsigma supports test creation in plain English. Thus, test creation is as easy as writing test cases in English. Similarly, test case maintenance is easy too.
3. Multiple Platforms: Testsigma lets you automate tests for web, mobile, APIs, and desktop from the same place using the same approach.
4. Headless browser automation: With the support of headless browser automation, you can further speed up the execution of your test cases with Testsigma.
5. Support for loops: Testsigma has been designed to accommodate complex looping workflows like if-else, for, and while.
6. Networking Control: Testsigma simulates the manipulation of network connection state and latency during test execution.
7. Data-driven testing: Testsigma can check large data sets to identify patterns and trends that can be used to inform the testing process.
8. Parallel testing: Testsigma allows parallel testing at both the case and suite levels, allowing for greater efficiency and time savings in the testing process.
9. Cross-browser testing: In the Testsigma platform, users have the capability to execute a single test case on multiple browsers. The test execution can be done on your local devices or the device cloud of your choice. Thus ensuring the consistency and reliability of the test case across all browsers.
10. Visual testing: Via this feature, you can easily catch any visual errors in your application.
Pricing: Testsigma is accessible as open source and free. At the same time, you can also access it via the cloud environment, which is a paid version.These features make it one of the most favorable automation tools available today.
Selenium is the perfect solution if you’re looking for an open-source tool for web browser testing. With Selenium, you can create automated tests that interact with your web application and ensure it functions correctly. This platform limits its support to web browser automation and does not provide support for mobile devices.
- Cross-Browser Testing: Selenium enables cross-browser testing, allowing users to verify their applications on multiple web browsers. It supports many browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.
- Support for different languages: Selenium is a powerful tool for automating tests for web applications. Testers can write tests in popular languages like Java, Python, C#, etc., and execute them across different browsers.
- Multiple Platform Support: Tests built using Selenium can be executed on multiple platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- Parallel Test Execution: Via Selenium Grid, Selenium enables users to execute tests in parallel, thereby providing the capability to run multiple tests concurrently.
- Pricing: Selenium is a free, open-source automation testing tool.
Let’s talk about Karate. Is it the martial art initially developed in Japan? What do you guess, the legendary Bruce Lee may have practiced this art during his free time?
Karate is a testing framework that follows the Cucumber style of programming and the Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) approach, making it easy to understand for non-programmers. Karate offers UI testing capabilities that enable developers to interact with web pages and test user interfaces. This includes clicking buttons, entering text, and validating elements on the page. It is the only API testing tool to offer a combination of API automation, UI test automation, and performance testing in a single standalone tool. You can quickly define test scenarios, run them in any order, and gain insights from the results. It’s the perfect way to ensure your product work as expected – without extra effort!
- Powerful Assertions: Karate facilitates the validation of web service responses through powerful assertions.
- Parallel Execution: Karate enables parallel execution of tests, making it an ideal solution for teams working on complex web applications.
- Flexible Reporting: Karate offers versatile reporting capabilities, enabling developers to generate report outputs in HTML, XML, and JSON formats.
- Plain English Test Steps: Karate enables developers to create readable and maintainable tests using Gherkin.
- Easy to Integrate: Karate is compatible with existing tools and frameworks, such as Jenkins, Maven, and Eclipse.
- Framework: Karate is a Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) testing framework, as opposed to Test-Driven Development (TDD). It is relatively concise to create a framework.
- In-house support: This system offers internal support for transitioning configurations between various testing environments (QA, Stage, Production, and Pre-Production).
- Built-In: This software is equipped with native rest reports and can be integrated with Cucumber to facilitate UI reports and provide greater clarity.
- Pricing: Karate is a free, open-source automation testing tool.
Katalon Studio provides an easy-to-use, comprehensive set of capabilities for the creation and execution of automated tests. It supports automated testing with the ability to record actions as they are executed. This allows users to quickly create automated tests that can be used again in future testing cycles.
- Cross-platform compatibility: Katalon Studio offers cross-platform compatibility with Windows, macOS, and Linux. This enables developers to create and execute tests across various operating systems quickly.
- Smart recording and playback: Katalon Studio boasts a smart recording and playback feature that enables users to expedite the automation test creation process.
- Comprehensive reporting: Katalon Studio offers comprehensive reporting of test execution. This affords users the ability to assess and debug their tests conveniently.
- Flexible scripting: Katalon Studio facilitates the creation of tests in multiple scripting languages: Gherkin and Groovy, granting users the freedom to utilize the language of their preference.
- Pricing: Katalon is a free, open-source automation testing tool.
Appium is a test automation tool for Android and iOS apps.
- Supports Multiple Languages: Appium is compatible with various programming languages, including Java, Objective-C, C#, PHP, Python, and Ruby, as long as that language has a Selenium client library.
- Supports Multiple Platforms: Appium supports automation of tests for mobile apps on iOS, Android, and Windows.
- Pricing: Appium is a free, open-source automation testing tool.
Eggplant is an automated testing framework to create and run tests for mobile, web, and desktop applications. It enables users to build tests quickly and easily, run them on multiple platforms, and get results quickly. It automates the application and user interaction process, records user actions, and compares results against expected behavior. Eggplant tests can be executed on physical devices and simulators, allowing for testing in various environments. Eggplant also allows integration with other tools, such as Jenkins, for continuous integration and delivery.
- Image Recognition: Eggplant employs a strong image recognition algorithm to determine UI elements on a device or application.
- Cross-Platform: Eggplant is an effective tool for testing applications across multiple operating systems and platforms.
- Data-Driven Testing: Eggplant creates data-driven test scripts and enables users to leverage external data to test their applications.
- Pricing: Eggplant is a commercial test automation software that enables users to create automated tests for mobile, web, and desktop applications.
This is quick and easy to configure, enabling you to commence automated testing quickly. Ranorex Studio offers integrated reporting capabilities, enabling users to monitor test results efficiently.
- Cross-Platform & Cross-Device Support: Ranorex Studio boasts compatibility with a wide range of platforms and devices, allowing for the easy creation of tests for various operating systems. It supports Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and web applications across desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
- Easy Data-Driven Testing: Ranorex Studio enables data-driven testing with the ability to execute multiple tests with variant data sets.
- Pricing: Ranorex is not free. It is a saleable software product that requires users to purchase a license.
TestComplete offers automated testing solutions for desktop, web, and mobile applications. It is a robust and straightforward tool that accelerates software testing procedures. TestComplete provides a complete test report feature for users. With this, users can create detailed documentation about the results of automated tests.
- Test Visualizer: TestComplete’s feature offers a graphical view of test steps and results. This allows for the efficient identification of errors and bugs within the software.
- Cross-Platform Support: TestComplete provides comprehensive support for Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android platforms.
- Object Identification: TestComplete is provided with object identification capabilities. This lets it identify objects in an application regardless of their on-screen representation. This improves the efficacy and accuracy of automated testing.
- Pricing: TestComplete is a commercial software program with various pricing plans.
Test Studio facilitates the development of automated tests with its user-friendly UI and point-and-click approach. Its visual debugger enables users to effectively navigate their tests and observe the condition of their application at every step. Test Studio facilitates automated testing at regularly scheduled intervals and integration with continuous integration systems to boost test automation.
- Cross-Browser Testing: Test Studio enables users to perform tests across multiple web browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer, with ease.
- Data-Driven Testing: Test Studio eases users to construct data-driven tests conveniently by drawing data from external sources like databases, Excel sheets, and additional external sources.
- Cross-Platform Testing: Test Studio allows cross-platform testing, enabling users to execute their tests on Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Robust Security: Test Studio implements thorough security measures to safeguard confidential test data and secure data accuracy.
- Pricing: Test Studio is not free. It is a paid tool that comes with a 30-day free trial.
Cucumber enables developers to create automated tests efficiently through user stories. These are written in plain language that can be mapped to computerized tests. Cucumber’s easy syntax is expressed using plain language text called Gherkin, which is written in a way that makes it easy for non-programmers to understand the behavior of an application. An example of Gherkin syntax is: Given I am on the homepage When I click the “Sign Up” buttonThen I should be taken to the signup page
- Cross-platform: Cucumber is open for multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Support for multiple languages: Cucumber supports various programming languages, such as Java, Ruby, and Python.
- Reporting: Cucumber offers vast reporting of test results, enabling the identification of areas requiring improvement.
- Pricing: Cucumber is open-source.
WebdriverIO facilitates automated testing of web applications, leveraging the WebDriver protocol to control and execute tests in a browser.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: WebdriverIO supports multiple browsers and environments, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and IE. It also supports running tests on mobile devices.
- Flexible configuration: WebdriverIO has an extensible configuration, letting users customize their setup to fit their specific needs.
- Command-line interface: WebdriverIO features a command-line interface (CLI) that provides an easy way to interact with the tool.
- Time-saving features: WebdriverIO features such as automatic screenshotting, automatic waiting, and automatic retries help reduce the time spent writing tests.
- Pricing: WebdriverIO is open-source.
- Easy Setup: Cypress can be quickly installed and configured.
- Visible Test Runner: Cypress features an interactive test runner that can provide quick feedback regarding test output.
- Automatic Waiting: Cypress allows for the synchronization of commands and assertions, eliminating the need for additional waits and sleeps in tests.
- Multi-Browser Support: Cypress enables tests to be executed across multiple browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
- Continuous Integration: Cypress combines seamlessly with ongoing integration services such as Jenkins, Travis CI, and CircleCI.
- Pricing: Cypress is not free. It is a commercial tool with a pricing plan to purchase a license.
Robot Framework is an open-source framework for automated testing and acceptance testing. It is written in Python and leverages the Selenium 2 library for browser automation. Robot Framework features an integrated development environment (IDE), RIDE, providing users with an accessible platform to create, edit, and debug tests.It has been used in various contexts, including web applications, embedded systems, desktop applications, and mobile applications. It also automates web crawling, data extraction, and scraping tasks.
- Easy to use: Robot Framework employs a direct tabular test data syntax for enhanced understanding. It facilitates the separation of test data from test cases for simpler maintenance.
- Extensibility: Robot Framework enables users to extend its capabilities by creating their test libraries and custom keywords. This allows users to develop tests customized to their requirements and environment.
- Cross-platform: Robot Framework is a cross-platform, open-source automation framework written in Python, with support for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Pricing: Robot Framework is an open-source tool.
The test creation in EarlGrey grabs user interactions while the test is active and generates a video of the test’s execution.
- Synchronous execution: EarlGrey offers a synchronous API for test execution, where tests are executed sequentially in the same thread, thus facilitating debugging.
- Element Interaction: EarlGrey offers an API enabling users to interact with UI elements, such as tap, swipe, and enter text.
- Networking Control: EarlGrey stimulates the manipulation of network connection state and latency during test execution.
- Pricing: EarlGrey is a free, open-source tool.
Have you ever wondered what a Test Automation framework is for?
What is a Test Automation Framework?
Test frameworks provide structure to tests by setting up standard rules and procedures. This helps ensure that tests are efficient, effective, easy to maintain and debug. We’ve compiled a list of top test automation frameworks to help you find the best one for your needs.
Benefits of a Test Automation Framework
There is no question that test automation provides numerous advantages. A test automation framework is a set of guidelines and protocols that aid automated testing. This framework provides an organized testing structure, allowing faster, easier, and more efficient testing. There are many advantages to implementing a test automation framework, including the following:
- Increased productivity: Test automation frameworks help automate test cases, saving time and improving productivity.
- Improved accuracy: Automation frameworks help eliminate human errors, increasing overall accuracy.
- Reusability: Reusing test cases with automation frameworks saves time and money.
- Reduced cost: Automation frameworks can reduce the cost of testing by eliminating the need for manual testing.
- Improved test coverage: We can ensure that all aspects of the software are tested with automation frameworks.
- Better test organization: Automation frameworks help keep tests organized, making finding and debugging problems easier.
- Easier maintenance: Maintenance is simplified by automation frameworks since they allow to use same test cases for multiple software versions.
Automation frameworks help create a uniform, sustainable automated tests that can be reused. They can also help reduce the time and effort required to complete the testing process. Automation frameworks provide a range of benefits – from reducing costs and improving quality to reducing manual testing time.
When choosing the right test automation framework for your project, the key is to evaluate each tool’s features, capabilities, and cost. You should consider the size and complexity of your project, the language you are using, and the time and money you are willing to spend. Additionally, you should consider the long-term sustainability of the framework and the community’s support. Finally, you should consider the potential for integration with other tools and technologies. Considering these factors, you can decide which tool best suits your project.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a quote by Lillian Smith:” When you stop learning, stop listening, stop looking and asking questions, always new questions; then it is time to die.” Ask and seek knowledge every time you learn anything new. Here are a few questions that many people search for quickly. Let us have a look at those.
Is Selenium a tool or framework?
Selenium is an open-source automation tool used for testing web applications. It is not a framework but a tool to automate web applications for testing purposes. However, Selenium can be used with various frameworks, such as Java, C#, Ruby, Python, etc., to create powerful test automation frameworks.
Which automation framework is easy?
The most popular and easy-to-use automation frameworks include Testsigma, Selenium, Appium, Cucumber, and Robot Framework. Each framework has its strengths and weaknesses, and which one you choose depends on your specific needs and requirements.
What makes a good test automation framework?
Oh, Yes! We should know what a good test automation framework is. A good test automation framework should be customized to meet your project’s specific needs. It should be easy to use and maintain for your team and provide a return on investment. By customizing the framework to fit the project’s requirements, you can ensure that it will help you achieve the desired results.