In the dynamic world of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, SAP software stands as a pillar of efficiency for countless businesses. As organizations rely heavily on SAP applications to streamline their operations, ensuring the quality and reliability of these systems becomes critical. This is where SAP testing tools step onto the stage, empowering businesses to validate their SAP solutions, identify glitches, and provide seamless user experiences.
In this blog, we will discuss the top SAP test tools that will help you automate the entire testing process of SAP applications. From automated testing to performance testing, these tools will help optimize the testing process, enhance accuracy, and minimize risks.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is SAP Testing?
- 2 How To Identify the Right SAP Testing Tool?
- 3 Features of SAP Testing Tools
- 4 The Importance of SAP Automated Testing Tools
- 5 The Top 12 SAP Testing Tools
- 6 What Are the Different Types of SAP Testing Tools?
- 7 Advantages Provided by SAP Testing Tools
- 8 What Types of Users Use SAP Testing Tools?
- 9 SAP Testing Tools Integrations
- 10 When to Automate SAP Testing
- 11 Summary
What is SAP Testing?
SAP testing is the process of testing software applications that are developed using SAP. As you might already know, SAP is a well-known enterprise resource planning (ERP) platform that organizations use for various business processes, such as financial management, supply chain management, human resources, and more.
SAP testing involves systematically assessing and verifying the functionality, performance, security, and usability of SAP-based applications to ensure they meet the required standards and work as intended. This testing process helps identify defects, errors, or inconsistencies in the SAP system and ensures that it operates smoothly in real-world scenarios.
How To Identify the Right SAP Testing Tool?
Before you choose a SAP automation tool, you must look into various factors to ensure that the tool aligns with your business’s needs, budget, and technical requirements. Compare SAP testing tools according to cost, capabilities, integrations, user feedback, and more using the resources available on this page.
There are some basic questions you should look into before you decide,
- What does the Business Case – Testing Tool fit look like?
- What are the pros and cons of the tool? You can use Pugh Matrix to compare the tool’s capabilities and understand which is the best fit. Pugh Matrix is a sigma technique that businesses use to narrow down the tools.
- Calculate the ROI of the tools that you use. Testsigma helps you achieve faster ROI. Check this blog to learn about how to calculate ROI on test automation.
Apart from these questions, take a quick look into the below factors,
- Evaluate the specific goals of the SAP project. It helps determine what software and hardware are needed for successful implementation.
- Decide what areas of SAP have to be tested and the time required for testing.
- Check if the tool’s features match your project’s requirements and budget. Some automation tools may provide more functionality at a high price or require more extensive user training. So, choose wisely because not every tool offers multiple features for a less cost like Testsigma 😜.
- Check if the tool is compatible with your other existing system. Different tools have differing compatibility levels with other SAP systems, so ensuring that the chosen tool works with any existing systems is essential.
- Based on the scope of testing, you might need to use more than one tool for testing to cover different components of the task. It is vital to check if these tools can work together smoothly, so you can move data between them without hassle.
When choosing testing tools for a SAP project, consider the factors mentioned above, and that will help you find the right SAP testing tool that can make your testing efficient and quick.
Features of SAP Testing Tools
Here are some common features of SAP testing tools,
- Automated Testing: SAP automated testing tools help testers automate the entire SAP testing process, saving time and effort. These tools enable regression testing, data-driven testing, and the ability to test complex scenarios efficiently. Also, it eliminates human errors and improves test accuracy.
- Model-Based Testing: SAP model-based testing is a special capability that allows users to speed up their testing strategy by generating tests automatically from multiple sources, like requirement documents, design models, or existing code, without needing to do it manually. It helps engineers to know where testing is lacking and makes new tests as needed while developing.
- User Interface Testing: Using automated testing, you can quickly validate the UI web components like text boxes, links, and buttons.
- Database Testing: These tools help testers to validate the data stored in a company’s database against the expectations or rules set by the users. It helps ensure that the data is correct in different databases.
- Integration Testing: SAP testing tools assist in testing the integration of different SAP modules, ensuring seamless data flow and communication between various components.
- Performance Monitoring and Diagnostics: These tools help assess the performance of SAP applications under different loads, user counts, and stress conditions. Performance testing features include load testing, stress testing, and scalability testing.
- Test Data Creation and Management: It provides features for generating, managing, and manipulating test data, making it easier to create realistic test scenarios.
- Cross-Browser Testing: With the increasing diversity of devices and browsers, some tools offer features to test SAP applications across various platforms and screen sizes.
- Reporting and Analytics: These tools provide reporting and analytics capabilities to track testing progress, identify issues, and generate test result summaries.
These features help you ensure your SAP applications’ quality, reliability, and performance.
The Importance of SAP Automated Testing Tools
SAP testing tools are robust test automation platforms specially designed to facilitate the testing and quality assurance of SAP applications. These tools offer a range of AI capabilities and features to help testers and developers ensure that the SAP implementations are robust, reliable, and meet business requirements.
The Top 12 SAP Testing Tools
There are several automation testing tools available that cater to different aspects of testing within SAP environments. Here are some of the top SAP testing tools,
Testsigma is a robust cloud-based low-code test automation platform that allows users to automate the end-to-end testing of SAP applications. It can automate the testing of web, mobile, and desktop apps and APIs in one place. You can automate even the complex SAP testing tasks and workflows in plain English.
- Automate complex SAP tests in simple English using the NLPs.
- No coding knowledge is required to perform tests in Testsigma.
- Automate your mobile, web, desktop, and API testing in one place.
- It makes your automation 5x faster and saves up to 70% of your total testing cost.
- Supports parallel testing.
- You can easily create, edit, or delete tests on the cloud.
- Supports both low-code and full-code testing.
- Supports customizing your tests via JAVA.
- It is a perfect platform for both technical and non-technical users. It helps foster collaboration and communication among everyone in the team.
- It provides a record-and-play feature where testers can record user actions and later run them as automated tests on the cloud.
- It is a cloud-based platform, so you don’t have to worry about installing multiple tools or frameworks.
- Provides a Chrome extension, Testsigma Recorder, to record and create tests as you use web apps on the flow.
- It easily fits into your DevOps and CI/CD pipeline.
- Supports over 3000+ real devices/tablets and 1000+ browser/OS combos to automate cross-browser testing, responsive testing, and portability testing.
- Integrates with various third-party applications, including Jira, Jenkins, Azure DevOps, CircleCI, Travis CI, Slack, Bamboo, etc.
- Provides self-healing capabilities and in-built test review management.
- It has a simple and easy-to-use user interface.
- It provides both open-source and enterprise-ready versions.
- You can get detailed test reports and analytics. Also, you can create custom test reports.
- Extended 24×7 customer support via phone, chat, email, and community.
It offers both free and paid plans for its users.
Forever free plan: It is free forever and allows up to 200 automated testing minutes per month. It is perfect for small projects.
Pro plan: The Pro version with all the AI benefits, Testsigma Cloud, starts at $349/month. It is best suited for medium to large-scale organizations looking to automate their testing process. It offers a 21-day free trial with no credit card required.
Enterprise plan: Custom pricing based on the company’s size and budget.
RightData is a self-service testing tool designed to help businesses with SAP data testing. It offers solutions to help testers with data QC processes, data QA, and migration.
You can perform data verification and data validation tests without writing any code. It works great for SAP S/4 HANA migration, as it lets you test and validate your data, ensuring everything fits together and works smoothly.
- Connects to SAP data sources and checks data consistency across various sections.
- Identifies irregular data and generates reports about them.
- Supports both Functional and Technical Data Reconciliation activities.
- Validates business rules using the Scenario Builder feature.
eCATT stands for extended Computer Aided Test Tool. It is an automation testing tool developed by SAP to enable SAP UI testing for Windows and Java. It creates a detailed log of tests and their results, highlighting the issues, if any. Also, it is a replacement for CATT but with new developments and features.
- It works perfectly with all SAP apps. Fully compatible with all SAP applications.
- You can automate the SAP web app testing and R/3 transactions.
- Sets up needed customization and master data for testing, saving manual work.
Testimony, by Basis Technologies, transforms the way regression testing is done in SAP software. It’s a key component of their specialized DevOps and test automation platform for SAP. What sets Testimony apart is that it gets rid of the manual work involved in creating and maintaining test scripts, as well as managing test data.
Its robotic test automation technology automatically generates and updates a regression test library. It eliminates the complexities of traditional testing methods, such as time consumption, effort, and cost.
Testimony lets you shift left in the development process. You can run comprehensive regression tests even before changes are sent to the QA. This way, you can make frequent and agile updates without increasing the potential risks to your business operations.
- Speed up upgrades and updates.
- Improve how fast development goals are met.
- Cut down on expenses.
- Once fully set up, it quickly performs detailed tests within a day or two.
- Lowers risks linked to SAP automation testing.
Selenium is one of the popular open-source web testing frameworks. It can also be used for SAP testing. As most applications are web-based in SAP, Selenium can be a good option.
It works well for SAP testing because of its WebDriver. When used with a framework like TestNG, Selenium is effective for the functional testing of SAP applications.
- Selenium is both free and widely used.
- Many people are skilled in using Selenium, so it’s easy for testers to automate SAP testing.
- You can use Selenium to test SAP web apps, and it’s not limited to web portals or WDJ apps. Any UI built with HTML can be tested using Selenium.
- Supports only script-based testing of web apps
- It works on different platforms like Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- To create Selenium test scripts, you must install multiple tools and frameworks (For example, Eclipse IDE and TestNG).
- It supports multiple browsers like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Explorer, etc.
Using Selenium, you can test only web-based applications. You can not test mobile or desktop applications. If you’re looking to test web, mobile, desktop, and APIs in one place, then Testsigma is the perfect choice.
It is open-source and is available for free.
Now that we have discussed a handful of tools for SAP functional testing, let’s talk about the tools that support performance testing.
JMeter is a popular tool by Apache that is widely used for performance testing. It supports both stress testing and load testing for static and dynamic resources.
It is widely used for performance and stress testing of SAP Business Intelligence applications. When integrated with Blazemeter, it can be used to test SAP Commerce apps too.
- Easy to use, and not much coding knowledge is required.
- Integrates with DevOps tools and reporting tools
- The Thread Group feature helps track the application’s performance.
- Supports various testing such as API testing, MQ testing, and Database testing.
It is open-source and available for free to use.
Leapwork is a no-code test automation platform designed to simplify the SAP test automation process. With Leapwork, businesses can mitigate technical complexities, decrease potential risks, and accelerate activities related to legacy technologies, intricate customizations, and cross-application business processes.
Let’s check the benefits it provides,
- No coding skills are required.
- You can automate both SAP GUI and Fiori interface.
- It supports cross-browser and cross-device testing.
- Integrates with popular ALM and CI/CD toolsets.
- Built-in DevOps and GxP compliance tools.
- It offers a smart recorder that can record interactions and create automated tests.
It is tailored to the needs of the business and project.
Katalon Studio is a low-code test automation tool developed by Katalon, Inc. It helps you automate your web and mobile apps, including SAP applications.
- Provides record-and-playback feature
- Works on Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Supports Groovy for script-based testing.
- Only requires minimum coding knowledge
- It integrates with popular CI/CD tools like Jenkins and Azure DevOps.
It offers both free and paid plans. The paid plans start at $208/month. It also offers custom pricing plans.
testRigor is an AI-based test automated tool that helps automate SAP functional, regression, and performance testing. It has a user-friendly interface that lets you create tests in plain English and no code.
- Automates web, mobile, and API testing
- It supports record-and-playback functionality.
- Easily integrates with different tools and fits well in your CI pipeline.
- Supports visual testing
It offers an open-source version that is free to use. The paid plan starts at $900 per month and provides a 14-day free trial of the same.
AccelQ is a cloud-based test automation platform that supports SAP test automation. It is a codeless test automation tool that supports a visual model-based approach for SAP testing.
- Provides self-healing capabilities
- Seamlessly integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Supports web, mobile, desktop, and API testing
- Easy setup process
- Supports codeless testing
It is a paid product and offers a free trial plan too. The paid plan starts at $390 per user per month. Also, it is tailored to the business requirements.
Tricentis provides crucial automation testing solutions for SAP applications. From ECC to S/4HANA, it covers every test scenario. It reduces manual effort and enhances the test efficiency and accuracy of SAP testing. They cover various aspects of testing, including functional testing, performance testing, regression testing, and more.
Tricentis LiveCompare offers AI-driven analysis and insights to SAP teams that helps decrease the time, risk, and price of delivering and supporting updates to SAP systems. It consistently tracks your SAP delivery pipelines and production systems to identify potential problems that may cause trouble to your business.
- Supports Java for creating code-based test scripts.
- Supports record-and-playback functionality for scriptless testing
- It provides in-depth test reports.
It is a paid product. The plan starts at $4200/year and allows 1000 monthly test runs per month.
Avo Assure is a scriptless test automation platform that helps teams with end-to-end and continuous testing. It helps automate SAP testing. Using Avo, you can automate web, mobile, and API testing.
Certified for seamless integration with SAP S4/HANA and SAP NetWeaver, Avo Assure delivers extensive automation coverage.
- Supports cross-browser testing
- Execute iterative and end-to-end SAP testing while migrating from SAP ECC to S/4HANA.
- No coding skills are required to test
- Smoothly integrates with your CI/CD pipeline.
- Provides detailed test reports
- It is simple and easy to use
It is a paid product and offers various custom pricing plans. It also offers a free trial for its users.
What Are the Different Types of SAP Testing Tools?
- Test Data Migration Server (TDMS): TDMS is a tool that simplifies moving test data between different SAP systems or within the same system. It makes data migration secure, automated, and hassle-free.
- Automated Test Script Creation (ATSC): ATSC helps create automated test scripts for SAP applications for tasks like finance and logistics. These scripts are customized for different testing needs, such as unit, system, integration, and regression testing.
- Quality Center: Quality Center is a toolkit for managing quality assurance processes. It includes tools for tracking projects, managing defects, defining and tracking requirements, generating reports, and automating workflows.
- Business Process Testing (BPT): BPT is a tool for automating tests in SAP applications’ crucial business processes. It quickly identifies problems early in development, avoiding costly issues later in production.
- Change Control Software: This software aids in managing changes during an application’s lifecycle. It notifies about changes and records them, making it easier to track changes over time and follow proper procedures.
- Application Lifecycle Management (ALM): ALM is a suite of tools to manage the entire software development cycle, from gathering requirements to deployment and maintenance. It supports various platforms, including SAP’s ERP solutions, Java EE, and .NET technologies.
Advantages Provided by SAP Testing Tools
SAP automated testing tools provide a range of benefits that enhance the testing process, improve the quality of SAP applications, and contribute to overall business efficiency by identifying issues early in the development cycle. Here are some key benefits provided by these tools,
- Automated Testing: These tools enable testers to use automated tests for quicker and more efficient results. Automated testing reduces manual effort, saving time and resources. It also leads to consistent results, boosting confidence in application performance.
- Comprehensive Testing Environment: SAP testing tools create a thorough testing environment, allowing businesses to smoothly integrate their applications with various SAP systems. This ensures effective testing of all system aspects and speeds up issue resolution.
- Enhanced Data Insights: SAP testing tools offer data analysis capabilities, helping companies uncover patterns in their systems. This quick and accurate comparison of scenarios enhances the refinement of design and development processes.
- Security Management: These tools assist in security management by offering a user-friendly platform for creating secure user accounts, passwords, and authentication procedures. This reduces the risk of unauthorized access and cyberattacks.
- Smooth Integration: A major advantage of SAP testing tools is their seamless integration with other software applications like ERP systems or CRM solutions. This integration streamlines information transfer between platforms, eliminating manual data transfer and re-entry.
What Types of Users Use SAP Testing Tools?
Various types of users utilize SAP testing tools, depending on their roles and responsibilities within an organization. These users collaborate to ensure the quality, functionality, and reliability of SAP systems and applications. Some of the key users of SAP test tools are
- Business Analysts: These professionals ensure that their solutions meet customer needs and integrate well with existing systems by using SAP testing tools.
- IT Project Managers: They are responsible for successful software projects. They use SAP tools for testing to ensure smooth development and implementation.
- Quality Assurance Testers: QA engineers ensure software accuracy by running tests with SAP tools to maintain high-quality applications.
- Database Administrators: Using SAP tools, they secure, update, and maintain accurate databases for optimal performance.
- Data Engineers: They design efficient data structures and meet performance requirements with SAP testing tools to create effective data architectures.
- System Integrators: These experts assess system compatibility, including software from various vendors and cloud services, using SAP testing tools.
- Application Programmers: They create customized software using SAP tools, tailoring solutions to customer requirements.
- Automated Test Developers: These developers use SAP tools to create automated test scripts, efficiently conducting tests across different platforms automatically.
SAP Testing Tools Integrations
SAP testing tools smoothly integrate with tools like automated testing frameworks and enterprise automation testing platforms. The test automation frameworks let you automate the end-to-end testing of SAP applications.
And the test automation platforms let you automate complex workflows and tasks across different systems. It can be used to make custom UI validations that validate the user interfaces (UI).
Further, there’s also SAP’s own tool called Application Interface Framework (AIF) that can integrate different third-party systems and test apps inside SAP.
When to Automate SAP Testing
Automating SAP tests offers numerous benefits, including increased test efficiency, accuracy, and coverage. However, not all testing tasks are suitable for automation. Here are some scenarios when you should consider automating SAP testing,
- Repetitive and Regression Testing,
- Large-Scale Testing,
- Data-Driven Testing,
- Performance and Load Testing,
- Complex Business Scenarios,
- Parallel Execution,
- Consistency and Accuracy.
On the other hand, there are situations where manual testing might be more appropriate, such as exploratory testing.
You should pick the right SAP testing tool that aligns with your organization’s needs, scope of testing, and testing objectives. Whether you’re seeking automation, end-to-end process validation, AI-driven capabilities, or a customizable approach, the tools listed above will help provide a solid foundation to enhance the quality and reliability of your SAP applications.
Testsigma makes your automation 5x faster, so you can ship products 8x faster to the market. Sign up to Testsigma Cloud and start automating your SAP tests in less than 2 minutes.