Most Popular Tools For Cloud Automation Testing
Cloud-based technologies are on a rise today. Even if I deviate a bit from core IT fundamentals, the pandemic of 2021 made cloud tech a hero. It taught us how just an easy monthly subscription can give us access to thousands of movies, games, and live events such as the Tokyo Olympics via streaming. This is just a small example that we all can relate to and understand the cloud. In IT, however, the cloud means a lot more than just streaming media on the system. If I consider current times, it has become a core concept in development, management, analytics, and also – automation testing.
Cloud-based automation testing is a simple concept. We leverage cloud resources to accomplish our automation testing goals in the project. In this article, we will focus on tools that make this happen in real-time on the cloud.
Below, I have summarised the most popular tools for cloud automation testing with the assumption that you all are familiar with cloud-based automation testing. If not, it is recommended to go through this post first. – Cloud Testing.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What are Cloud Testing Tools?
- 2 What are the Key Features of Cloud Testing Tools?
- 3 How to Select the Best Cloud Automation Testing Tools?
- 4 Benefits of using Cloud Automation Testing Tools
- 5 Top 5 Popular Cloud Testing Tools
- 6 Testsigma
- 7 AppPerfect
- 8 CloudQA
- 9 Blazemeter
- 10 AWS Device Farm
- 11 And there are more…
What are Cloud Testing Tools?
Cloud testing tools are software applications that test the performance, functionality, and security of applications while being hosted on cloud environments.
These tools leverage the scalability and elasticity of cloud computing to simulate real-world user traffic and various operational conditions, helping developers and testers ensure their apps function flawlessly.
Think of them as virtual testing labs accessible online, eliminating the need for physical devices and infrastructure.
What are the Key Features of Cloud Testing Tools?
Cloud testing tools have become an essential arsenal for modern software development, offering many features that revolutionize the testing process.
Let’s dive into the key features that make them stand out:
1. Real Device & Browser Coverage:
Imagine testing your app on hundreds of real devices and browsers without leaving your desk. Cloud testing platforms like BrowserStack, Sauce Labs, and Testsigma provide access to a vast virtual device lab encompassing everything from flagship smartphones to budget tablets across diverse operating systems and browser versions. This ensures complete testing that captures real-world user experiences.
However, when choosing a platform, consider your specific needs. While BrowserStack and Sauce Labs offer extensive libraries, their pricing might not be budget-friendly for everyone.
Testsigma provides a competitive alternative with a growing device library that still covers popular devices your target audience uses. Their intuitive interface and budget-conscious pricing make it a compelling option for individual developers or smaller teams.
Remember, the best platform for you depends on your specific requirements and budget. Evaluate their device coverage, ease of use, and pricing to find the perfect fit for your testing needs.
2. Scalability and Performance:
Cloud testing tools offer the flexibility to scale your testing resources on demand. Think of it as adding extra horsepower to your testing engine. You can spin up hundreds of virtual devices in minutes to simulate real-world usage scenarios and identify performance bottlenecks before they affect real users.
3. Parallel Testing and Reduced Time to Market:
Cloud testing tools enable parallel testing, where multiple tests run simultaneously on different devices, significantly reducing testing time. This translates to faster feedback loops and quicker bug fixes, ultimately speeding up your time to market.
4. Automated Testing and Continuous Integration:
Cloud testing seamlessly integrates with CI/CD pipelines, automating repetitive tasks and enabling continuous testing throughout development. Imagine a robotic testing assistant who tirelessly checks your app with every code change, ensuring quality at every stage.
5. Geographically Distributed Testing:
With cloud testing, location is no barrier. You can access a global pool of testers and devices regardless of their geographical location. This allows you to test your app from different regions, ensuring it caters to diverse user preferences and market demands.
6. Detailed Reporting and Analytics:
Cloud testing platforms provide comprehensive reports and analytics that offer valuable insights into your app’s performance, stability, and user experience. Think of it as a crystal-clear picture of your app’s health, highlighting areas for improvement and optimizing future releases.
7. Security and Collaboration:
Cloud testing platforms employ robust security measures to protect your data and applications. Additionally, they offer collaboration features like shared test results and real-time communication, fostering teamwork and efficient bug resolution.
8. Cost-Effectiveness and Pay-As-You-Go:
Cloud testing eliminates the need for expensive on-premise testing infrastructure. You only pay for the resources you use, making it a cost-effective solution for projects of all sizes. Think of it as a flexible testing budget that adapts to your needs.
How to Select the Best Cloud Automation Testing Tools?
As a software engineer, my days are filled with challenges!
I needed a solution to test across different browsers, devices efficiently, and operating systems – seamlessly and without breaking the bank.
So, I embarked on a quest to find the best cloud testing tool, and let me tell you, it was an eye-opening experience! I discovered a treasure trove of options, each boasting unique features and capabilities.
However, my specific testing needs involved the following:
- Testing across multiple browsers and devices: Testing on desktops, mobiles, and tablets, regardless of the user’s device or browser preference.
- Ensuring responsiveness and performance: Fast loading times and seamless responsiveness are critical for engaging readers. The laggy process is a surefire way to lose attention.
- Easy integration with my workflow: As a busy developer, I needed a tool that seamlessly integrates with my existing processes, not adding another layer of complexity.
- Budget-friendly: Let’s be honest; I needed a solution(a testing tool) that wouldn’t break the bank.
After diving into cloud automation testing tools, I discovered a treasure trove of options, each with strengths and weaknesses. Here are some of the top platforms that caught my eye:
- BrowserStack: A powerful platform offering access to a vast array of real devices and browsers for comprehensive testing. Their visual testing capabilities were particularly appealing.
- Sauce Labs: Another strong prospect with extensive device and browser coverage. Their integration with popular CI/CD tools was a plus.
- LoadStorm: If performance testing is your primary concern, LoadStorm is a force to be reckoned with. Its ability to simulate real-world user loads was impressive.
- Testsigma: Now, this is where things got interesting! Testsigma offered everything I needed and more at a price point that fit my budget perfectly. Excellent user-friendly interface, comprehensive testing capabilities (including API and mobile testing), and effortless integration with project management tools such as Jira are absolute game-changers.
Ultimately, Testsigma emerged as the champion for my testing needs. It ticked all the boxes: affordability, diverse testing options, user-friendly interface, and smooth integration.
Remember, the “best” cloud automation testing tool depends on your unique needs and budget!
Benefits of using Cloud Automation Testing Tools
Here are some of the benefits of using cloud testing tools:
1. Accessibility and Scalability:
Cloud testing tools are accessible from anywhere worldwide with an internet connection, eliminating the need for on-premise hardware and software.
This makes it ideal for geographically distributed teams and allows for easy scaling up or down of testing resources based on project needs.
Imagine a team of testers from different countries all working together on the same testing platform, like a global orchestra seamlessly playing in harmony.
2. Faster Time to Market:
Cloud testing tools can significantly reduce testing time by providing access to a vast array of real devices and browsers on demand.
This eliminates the need to wait for physical devices or set up complex testing environments, allowing teams to test and release software faster.
Think of it like a high-speed testing highway compared to traditional testing methods’ slow, winding road.
Cloud testing eliminates the need for expensive hardware investments and maintenance costs associated with traditional testing labs.
You only pay for the resources you use, making it a cost-effective solution for projects of all sizes. Picture a piggy bank overflowing with savings thanks to cloud testing.
4. Improved Collaboration and Visibility:
Cloud testing platforms offer built-in collaboration features enabling teams to share real-time test results, reports, and insights.
This improves communication and visibility into the testing process, leading to better decision-making and faster resolution of issues. Think of it as a transparent testing kitchen where everyone can see what’s cooking.
5. Wider Test Coverage:
Cloud testing tools provide access to a wider range of devices, browsers, and operating systems than traditional testing methods.
This allows for more vast testing and helps identify bugs that might be missed.
6. Enhanced Security:
Cloud testing platforms offer robust security features that protect your data and applications. This is especially important for testing sensitive applications or those with strict compliance requirements.
Picture a shield protecting your software from security threats.
7. Continuous Testing and Integration:
Cloud testing tools can be easily integrated with continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines.
This allows for automated testing at every stage of the development process, leading to faster identification and resolution of bugs.
Top 5 Popular Cloud Testing Tools
Testsigma’s first landing page commitment says it is “a completely cloud-based test automation platform”. It comes with a lot of modules creating a testing ecosystem aiming towards creating a single solution for multiple testing requirements. From end-to-end to AI-based test automation, Testsigma can prove to be a good friend for your organization.
- Role management system: Testsigma provides multiple role management systems whereby different people can be assigned various roles and permissions to influence the test scripts.
- Varied automation processes: Testsigma’s main USP is that it can automate almost anything on the cloud – web app testing, cross-browser testing, native Android & iOS app testing, and web services testing.
- Dynamic locator strategy: Cloud automation testing in Testsigma comes with a dynamic locator strategy that helps in creating stable and reliable test cases.
- Parallel Execution: Testsigma comes with parallel execution capabilities to help test faster. You can also run these parallel tests in the local devices or integrate them with other cloud solutions such as Browserstack and SauceLabs.
- Real devices: When testing, testing on real devices is always recommended when compared to testing on emulators and simulators. And thus, Testsigma offers integration with real device cloud labs.
- In-depth reporting: Testsigma’s reports are of extremely high quality and have been appreciated for the analytical information displayed in them. It helps in getting a comprehensive study of the quality of tests.
- CI support: Testsigma also comes with continuous integration support with integrations with CI tools to facilitate your automation testing.
Apart from these highlighted features, Testsigma comes with a lot more interesting and powerful features that can make your cloud automation testing an easy task. You can read all their offerings on the official features page.
- $249 (Basic pack per month)
- $349 (Pro pack per month)
Testsigma is giving a 21-day free trial – review all features before you decide
AppPerfect is one among the tools list that is a versatile tool – it is of great use for not only testers but developers and big data operations. Integrating salesforce capabilities, AppPerfect sells web testing, load testing, and security testing on its cloud menu.
Apart from cloud testing, you can also download various other testing modules on the system. AppPerfect provides free 1-hour assistance to install and familiarize with the product.
- GUI enabled: AppPerfect cloud automation testing has a smooth GUI rather than being controlled through a console. GUI gives an added advantage of ease-of-use and does not need you to remember complex console commands.
- Ready-made scripts: In case you don’t want to write scripts yourselves, AppPerfect provides a solution for you. AppPerfect gives the facility of defining the test requirement and bring scripts to you.
- Distributed Testing: AppPerfect cloud automation testing solution provides distributed testing where the testers can run their test scripts on multiple systems connected through the cloud. The report is then gathered at a single place with a detailed analysis for the team.
- Schedule and Run: AppPerfect provides the testers with the functionality to schedule their test scripts to run at a specified time. This is very helpful in cases where you either need to verify the performance at some time or need to schedule a nightly test run.
Apart from these, AppPerfect brings a few more advantages such as record and replay feature, remote test management, and in-depth report generation. You can visit their website to know more.
- $399 (Starter Pack)
- $499 (Starter Pack + Annual technical support)
CloudQA is one among the cloud-based automation testing tools that is growing in popularity. It can perform tests on web applications and mobile applications. CloudQA is made exclusively for performing QA tests with features such as codeless testing and extension recording.
- Extremely versatile: CloudQA cloud automation testing solution requires no setup, no infrastructure, and no lock-in. You just need to integrate your tech stack quickly and get started.
- Parallel and scalable: CloudQA provides features to scale your automation tests easily and run parallel executions connected to the cloud infra.
- Collaborative in nature: The tool provides collaborative features where multiple people from the team can collaborate from the ease of their location and contribute to the test creation.
- High-quality resource: CloudQA offers real devices, popular integrations, and data-driven testing support for automation testers.
- Testing methods: CloudQA provides functional testing and load testing capabilities on the cloud along with other features.
- $299 (Basic pack per month)
- $499 (Standard pack per month)
Blazemeter brands itself as a “complete automation solution” and according to its reviews, it has lived up to its reputation. Blazemeter is a versatile tool with continuous testing, end-to-end testing, functional testing, and API testing.
As per Blazemeter, it has been named “Gartner’s customer choice for software test automation”. It boasts the following key features.
- Access configurational control: Blazemeter comes with an access control facility where automation tests can be modified only by the authorized people.
- Record tests: Blazemeter can record the tests performed by the tester.
- Ease of integration: The tool can be integrated very easily into the existing pipeline.
- Continuous integration abilities: Blazemeter can be integrated with continuous integration applications to run automation tests at build phases.
Apart from the above points, Blazemeter can also be used for cross-browser support and fetching detailed reports.
- Free (limited functions)
- $99 (Basic per month)
- $499 (Pro per month)
AWS Device Farm
In our list of most popular cloud automation testing tools – the last one is AWS Device Farm (for mobile sites and mobile apps). It was developed in Portland and acquired by cloud service provider AWS in 2015.
AWS Device Farm’s (previously called AppThwack) selling point has always been its array of real Android and iOS devices which can run automated tests and provide accurate real-time analysis. Since the devices are real, you can get a hint of your application’s performance in the market beforehand.
- Real devices: As mentioned above, AWS Device Farm comes with real devices running your application. With real devices in testing, you get the best idea about the behaviour of a mobile application on target devices.
- Deep-reports: Device farm has always focussed on letting its user know the power of the final generated reports. These reports are high-level with detailed logs, screenshots, and performance data.
- Built-in testing frameworks: AWS device farm comes with built-in framework support for your help in cloud automation testing. These include Appium and Espresso.
- CI support: The tool also comes with continuous integration support with integrations with CI tools to facilitate your automation testing.
AWS Device Farm is a great platform that comes with physical devices that numbers up to 2500. As a tester, you can always keep this on your list for cloud automation testing on mobile applications.
- $0.17 (per device per minute).
- $250 (unlimited testing)
And there are more…
This ends our carefully curated list of the most popular cloud automation testing tools. But, obviously, these are not the only ones floating in the market. With experience and keeping our broad audience in mind, we have shortlisted these tools.
However, we would love to learn more from our readers and understand what other leaves exist in this tree. Share your thoughts and experiences with other tools that were not included in the list.
This will help the community and gain a better understanding of this beautiful cloud automation testing arena.